Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Assumptions

I'm quiet, so they make assumptions.
I'm alone, so they make assumptions.
I'm afraid, so they make assumptions.
I'm religious, so they make assumptions.
I'm different, so they make assumptions.

Should I take these assumptions personally?
Should I be hurt by these assumptions?
Should I look down upon myself from these assumptions?
Should I change how I am to match these assumptions?

The answer is no.
Yet my answer is yes.
Why?
Is it the way they see me?
They assume the unknown, because I am quiet,
Because I am alone,
Because I am afraid,
Because I am religious,
Because I am different.

I'm mysterious, so they make assumptions.
I'm unnatural, so they make assumptions.
I'm incomprehensible, so they make assumptions.
I'm different, so they make assumptions.

But I don't change.
I silently get hurt.
But I want change.
I cannot handle my emotions.
But I can't change.
That would ruin my reputation.
But I need change.

Then, I do change.
Not to adapt to their assumptions, to ignore them.
I will no longer think down upon myself.
I will no longer be hurt.
I will no longer care what they assume about me.
I won't change anymore.

- Matthew McCaskill, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment